Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is Buddhism Even a Religion?

Wow. Never knew this was a debate? A close friend and wise mentor had a 4+ hour discussion on religion with me a few days ago. He's a learned mind, having spent months studying religion prior to choosing Christianity.

We spoke that night mostly about Christianity and Buddhism, tiny some on Islam. He made a statement that amazed me:
Buddhism is not even a religion. It's just a way of thinking.
Sounded like an argument waiting to happen so I turned to Google. Surely enough, there are many reasons to support my friend.

Check out this excerpt I took from this website - "Buddhism in a Nutshell:"
A Buddhist does not seek refuge in the Buddha with the hope that he will be saved by his (i.e. the Buddha's own) personal purification. The Buddha gives no such guarantee. It is not within the power of a Buddha to wash away the impurities of others. One could neither purify nor defile another. The Buddha, as teacher, instructs us, but we ourselves are directly responsible for our purification. Although a Buddhist seeks refuge in the Buddha, he does not make any self-surrender. Nor does a Buddhist sacrifice his freedom of thought by becoming a follower of the Buddha. He can exercise his own free will and develop his knowledge even to the extent of becoming a Buddha himself.  
- Buddha is NOT "God" (he specifically makes that clear).
- Buddha does not save you, or clear your sins.
- There are no specific prayers.
- There are no idols (many use Buddha's statute but only to pay respect to a wise man).
- There is much free will and freedom.

It seems to be a strong way of THINKING only? I'm confused right now. So, can I be a Christian Buddhist? I'll read more on this later. Just a side-track I took because that little voice in my head was talking again.

Sometimes I feel that voice has no path, it's just hopping around! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment