Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

Getting Made Fun of For Your Religious Studies...

Something I forgot to mention as you start your Journey - people suck. I knew this from the beginning. I tried to keep it a secret, but within 2 weeks, it was discovered by a family member (the fact that I was studying religion).

He decided to make it a public issue very quickly and loudly. He also instantly jumped to passing judgement, making fun of me and taunting me. He linked my studies to my recent break-up and mocked me for being weak.

It hurt. Boy, did it hurt. He quickly rallied support from others around him (who are also very close to me). It hurt more. Apparently, it was all a great big misunderstanding with no specific intentions - just teasing (when we discussed it later after a big fight).

It sure did not feel that way at the time.

Here's my warning to you. There are a lot of stereotypes in the world about Religious people (I was recently one who participated in those stereotypes). People will immediately attempt to label you.

You'll try to hide it. You won't be able to. You'll try to play it down. They won't care. So, why bother worrying? Keep it to yourself as much as you can, if someone pokes fun - smile and move forward. But, DON'T STOP.

I'm not stopping - I feel even stronger. By the way, that 'taunting' led to a major fight which opened a can of MUCH bigger issues. Thank God.

Things came out that needed for a long time but I never had to the strength to speak. Well, that day, I gained that strength and spoke my mind. Today, my relationships are stronger and I feel even better about my studies.

Ironically, being made fun of was God's answer to my prayers - my next post (look above this one), will explain more.

My only goal of today was to warn you. It's inevitable. It WILL happen. Expect it and let it roll off your back. Use it as strength not as weakness. Find your belief, you have my support!

No comments:

Post a Comment