Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bible - The Story of Abraham (Willing To Sacrifice His Own Son)?

I specifically looked up this story, I have a close relationship to it (I don't want to get into why). Let's just say when I lost something very important to me in my life, this story was used to try to explain it to me.
God speaks to Abraham and asks Abraham to sacrifice his son to him (to test his faith in God). His son is obviously the most precious thing in his life. Abraham's faith gets it's biggest test.
Abraham agrees. He brings his son to the alter. He prepares to kill his son but God stops him at the very last second he can.
God wouldn't allow the sacrifice. God had tested his faith and knew Abraham was true. This story was once used to explain a matter to me. I never got it - not till I analyzed it and saw an explanation of it in the recent book I read.

Something to think about...
Abraham has faith. What exactly is that faith? The faith obviously is that God could never wrong Abraham. The worst "wrong" in this case would be for Abraham to lose his son. Right?
We can easily defer then that: Abraham had FAITH that God would NOT kill his son (deep-down). Or even if God had to kill him, God would bring his son back to life. In worst case, God would assure that Abraham's son is in a better place and better off.

Underlying lesson?
Whether Abraham's son is sacrificed or not - nothing bad could come of this command by God. Only GOOD can come of it.
I speak to the person who once told me this story. I think you missed this last part! Even if God killed Abraham's son, Abraham believed that God would bring his son back to life.

An amazing story of trust, faith and belief. Makes one think...

No comments:

Post a Comment