Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Don't Tell Me What To Do - I Hate Ultimatums!

Hmmm it's a harsh title, I don't mean any offense. But, in the spirit of being honest, it's a thought my mind has. The more I read about Christianity, I find it SO hard to believe that Jesus would be so rigid and demanding. That he'd actually say "worship me or be punished to hell?"

From everything I read about him, he seems like a "cooool guy," the kind of guy that you grab a drink with, relax with and talk life with. The kind of guy you high five and are humbled by.

The kind of guy who everyone seems to always love and you just can't figure out WHY. I bet you know someone that's like that - everyone they meet becomes a fan. That's how I see Jesus.

I'm falling in love with everything about him, but this one thing rubs me the wrong way. Knowing me, I'm a guy that would MORE READILY worship him if he didn't "require" me to.

I guess I just don't like being given ultimatums. I push it away. "Tell me what to do and I'll tell you where to shove it" has always been my motto. I know the Bible says so, but something inside me just wants to believe the Apostles made it up.

I like to think Jesus actually said "It's cooool man, let's just hang out and let life take it's course - don't stress so much!" Wow, is Jesus a hippie in my mind?  No idea. Again, not trying to be blasphemous. In my own way, this is my way of PRAISING Jesus.

Let me search continue. Maybe I'll find something to support my weird desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment