Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Problem with Leviticus

Firstly, do not take this personally. I am simply voicing questions and concerns not offering judgment. The Book of Leviticus is about rituals and sacrifices. From my studies of Jesus and Christianity, it seemed that rituals and sacrifices were looked down upon.

However, the Bible is the word of God. Christians follow the Bible. Jesus defends, explains and expands on the Old Testament (a part of the Bible). Leviticus is IN the Old Testament. Hence, Christians (and Christ himself) believe in the Leviticus. Right?

Established?

Then, why do I not know a SINGLE Christian that follows these practices or laws? Most I know eat Pork (against Leviticus 11:7).

None I know offer any such sacrifices or rituals. The opposite happens. They avoid and judge other religions for their sacrificial background and beliefs.

I asked my Christian friend and she said:
"Well the Bible is the word of God. We won't understand it all. That's OK. We just trust him. We can't pick and choose what we BELIEVE, we must believe it all. However, some things do change with the time and culture."
BAM! I got a problem with that last statement.

No where in the Bible does it state that we have the right to tweak it based on "Time." Jesus never said that either. So...who said we can then?

And, if so, who decides? Where is the line?

What applies and what doesn't?  This opens a BIG hole. This opens a LOT of room for personal "opinion."  I'm not saying that's bad or good. I'm saying Christians need to be true to that and realize it.

I guess that's why we have so many denominations? Just interesting. 

I guess I don't like that people feel they can say "ohhh that...yea that is not applicable due to the time" to something they don't do. But, to something they DO follow, they can scream "bloody murder" at another Christian and pass judgement.

It smells of hypocrisy. That's all :)  I part in peace, no offense intended.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    I stumbled upon your blog and have enjoyed some of your posts. :) Perhaps I can help explain here.

    Leviticus is part of the "old covenant." As Christians, we are no longer required to follow all the rules the old covenant.

    As for sacrifices, Jesus paid the ultimate price for our sins, so after He came, sacrifices were no longer necessary. As such, the temple, where sacrifices took place, was destroyed in A.D. 70, about 40 years after Jesus died.

    This is a nutshell version, but maybe this can help get your started if you wish to do further research.

    And good for your for researching your faith!!! That shows a sincere heart to know God! I was born into a Christian home, but I really dug and researched in my 20s to make sure I was following the right religion--at times I was unsure, but thankfully in the end, it only strengthened my Christian faith!

    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete