Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Conversation with Mom #2 About Her Conversion To Christianity...

Today I met with a friend and her mom (practically like my second mother). Actually, interesting, if I end up considering myself 'born-again' - she WILL be like my second mom :O

She shared her story with me and corrected some misconceptions and concerns I had re: Christianity. Here are a few take-aways I had from our coffee meeting (then I'll tell you about Church). Buckle in!

Here's her background. She was once a VERY devout Hindu. As a kid, I used to even run from her when she started her sermons.  She knew all the religious writings by HEART. She then hit some hardships and one day, GOD himself (not even Jesus) appeared before her. She saw him. She even described what he looked like...

Long robe...long white hard...silhouette mostly though. He began by asking her: "Do you know my Son, Christ?"  I found that interesting since recently I had heard "My name is Christ." Wonder why he doesn't call himself Jesus?

Anyways, here's the SHOCKING part. When he appeared before her, he recited the entire 66 books of the Bible to her. She went from one day not knowing a WORD to the next knowing the entire Bible. Even before my eyes, she flew through the Bible finding scriptures left and right, almost on demand!

After that he continued to speak to her and give her instructions as to "what next." The message was unavoidable, even to a middle aged DEVOUT Hindu woman. It was clear that day. She was now on the path of following Christ.

My Conversation with Her:

In the entire conversation I asked a few questions among other conversation.

1. Is it still OK to go to other religion events if it means supporting my family and only for that reason? After all, Commandment #5 says "Honor your father and mother."
"Yes it is. Pray to Christ first and simply explain your situation. Ask to be excused. During the religious proceedings, simply think of him and pray to him. When you leave, praise his name yet again.
Actually, he'll be even more proud of you.
Christ is not an angry God. Remember, he is all love. He understands our situations better than anyone (even ourselves). What's important is that your heart is clean - that's all."
This brought me great Peace. It's what I always felt inside and considering she is still "in" a Hindu family. She has to still support her Son and others who have Hindu marriages, etc... She goes and supports her family without ever fearing hurting or upsetting Jesus.

Remember. He loves, that's it. He loves.

2. If I embrace Christ, does that mean I have to always look at my family as if they are condemned? Do I have to judge them? I won't have the heart to do it. They only do what they have always been taught in their lives.
"No it is not! As a matter of fact, by bringing Christ to me, I bring him to my family as well! I can pray for them. This is just not something I'm to worry about. I'm just a human. Let Christ handle worrying about that. I handle myself :)

My job is just to love them. Support them. All the time."
Hmm...it was a semi-comforting answer, but I guess it still worries me, it's a weird dynamic.


3. Is Christ really speaking to me?
"Yes. If he's revealing himself to me, he is. If I feel he is speaking to me, then yes, he is."
After this we went to Church service together. I'll write about that in a minute - it was a bit of an emotional service in the beginning for me. NO idea why, I rarely rarely cry, but almost did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment