Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bible (Old Testament) - Leviticus Overview

I have a lot to say about the Book of Leviticus - mostly questions. I found MANY things here that are not practiced by any Christian I know.

Here's a great short summary video:




Also, Wikipedia as always has an EXCELLENT summary - Click here to check it out...

Here's a REALLY quick synopsis:

The Book of Leviticus is about holiness, atonement and rituals. I was lost at "rituals" - I tend not to believe in these. Even though I've been raised Hindu, I don't like "sacrificing animals" and related beliefs.

I was surprised to see this Book in the Bible and defended by Christ. Actually Leviticus is even said to foretell of Christ's crucifixion.

Underlying messages:

- Sin must be atoned for through the offering proper sacrifices.
- Proper sacrifices means the blood of certain animals (such as Lamb).
- Outline of DIETARY restrictions and allowances.
- Day of Atonement - Sacrifices are made on behalf of all man and our collective sin.
- Guidelines for holiness
- Holiness can only be attained through atonement which can be attained only through the appropriate rituals, festivals and sacrifices.

Personally, I didn't relate much at all to the Leviticus and it's led to a lot of questions. Look at my next post to see my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment