Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Bhagavad Gita - A Walkthrough For Westerners

Talk about a book that confuses me! Originally written in Sanskrit, the message of the Bhagavad Gita is VERY tough to understand - even the translation.

There are many references to things like "Vedas" and others. If you don't know what they mean, you're out of luck.

Instead of reading popular "translations" - I chose to start with a "summary."

It has it's positives and it's negatives.

The Gita is said to be a "Song" - meaning it's very poetic. Reading "Walkthrough" version is more of a novel, so it takes away from that poetic feel a bit. But, hey, I'm not very poetic as it is anyways. So far, I'm loving this book - AFTER this I can probably read the real translation and do well.

Wow, interesting. I hit the same road blocks I had hit when I was trying to study the Bible. It seems for a TRUE understanding, you have to read both. The summary and the actual scriptures.

Geez God, couldn't you make this a bit easier!!! :P

1 comment: