Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

1 Fundamental of Hinduism Hindus MUST Accept

The more and more I study, I've learned the following. Many say that Hinduism is the most accepting and open religion. In many ways this is true, however, in a few ways this is also not true.

I recently wrote of an argument of could someone be a "Hindu Christian" - I'm now seeing that one cannot. As much freedom as Hinduism allows, there is one strict rule that has no room for negotiation - they are the CORE beliefs of Hinduism.

Re-Incarnation. I wrote a post about the definition of this here. Basically the cycle of being re-born based on the actions of your prior life. The better you are, the higher up in the "totem pole" you go. The worse you were, the lower you go.

This is all based on your "Karma" - your actions.

This is probably one of the most defining elements of Hinduism.

If you're wondering what my personal opinion on this is?

I'm not sure yet. But I never truly understood re-incarnation until now. I realize now that my entire life, since childhood I have firmly believed in Heaven and Hell. Im not sure if that was just "Western Influence" through the TV or what.


However, even as a child I knew - if you do bad, you go to hell. If you do good, you go to heaven. So, essentially, all my life I have NOT believed in re-incarnation (even though I called myself a Hindu).


Let's just put it this way, I have spent FAR more time wondering if I'm going to heaven or hell than I have wondering what animal I was in my past life or will be in my future life.


Hmm...

1 comment: